php question

From: Bob at Estiminc <bob@estimations.com>
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 17:20:38 AKDT

I recently installed a php script that apparently needs a module (php-imap)
that wasn't configured when it was compiled. (php is running as an apache
module, installed from the pre-compiled rpm that came with the distro -- FC4)

As I understand it, in order to install this option, I need to recompile
php and apache from source, with the "with-imap=[DIR]" directive
included. I'm intimidated by the idea, thinking it's an enormous
undertaking, one which will likely break my current installation and cause
me a lot of grief. So here's my questions:

1. Is my assumption that I need to recompile php and apache from source
correct?
2. Is it as scary and fraught with risk as it seems?
3. Is there a good step by step howto for doing this (and not scrambling
currently configured options?)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.