CompUSA USB 2 & firewire combo card

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 11:21:07 AKDT

I've been having doubts about this card. The packaging says it's USB 2
but according to lspci 3 of the 4 usb ports are usb 1.1 and one is usb 2.

We ran a test using a usb drive and a program called usbview. According
to usbview 3 of the 4 ports are usb 1.1. However, when we plugged in the
usb 2 drive it came up as usb 2. It was listed under something called
EHCI. The other ports were labeled OHCI and the on boar usb was UHCI.
All ports on the combo card put the usb 2 drive under EHCI. Plugging the
drive into the on board usb port placed it under OHCI.

We also did a data transfer test from the usb 2 drive to an internal IDE
drive. It took about 20 minutes to copy a little more then 2 gigs of
data. Not bad.

If you're interested in firewire I have bad news. It didn't work. The
drive was detected but no device file was created. We also got an error
message in /var/log/messages. We had a few heads working on the problem
but no luck.

This card cost $50. There were several others at CompUSA that were $79
or so. It would be interesting to see what you get for $79.

Other info

   1. OS = Fedora Core 4
   2. Kernel = 2.6.12.2