Re: FC4 Upgrade

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 10:52:30 AKDT

On Monday 04 July 2005 07:08 am, Jim wrote:
> Upgraded my laptop yesterday. First it was REALLY slow. It seems that
> the install copies the RPM to a directory in /var from the CD, then
> processes it.
> Open Office caused the install to crash, because there was not enough
> free space in /var. I do not know if this has changed from the past,
> or if the file
> is simply bigger. Second irritation is that if something cannot be
> installed, the install process crashes and wants to be rebooted. The
> option to keep on
> truckin is not considered. I hate having the whole mess go south
> because the Dutch language options for Open Office had a fit.
>
> That being said, all is working well, but I am not sure that I have
> gained anything.

I don't use FC but, imho, upgrades impose new issues as well as solving
old issues. I use OOo.org's office suite or work have found the best
way to stay current with it is to dl the tar.gz from OOo.org's site and
manually install it, esp the version 2. Upgrading my OS to get new
versions of applications is to time consuming.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.