Re: Power supply noise?

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 15:26:25 AKDT

adam bultman wrote:

>I think you might be hard pressed to get them to send you a replacement
>fan since the capacitors in power supplies are pretty deadly.
>
>The oil will work, but MAN you gotta be careful.
>
>Adam
>

>Stanley Long wrote:
>

>>Damien Hull wrote:
>>

>>>I've got a power supply that's making a high pitched whining noise. It's
>>>the fan. ...
>>>

>>Dirty on the blades sometimes makes low freq rushing sounds grow.
>>High freq is probably bearing noise. Ball bearings or bronze sleeve?
>>

>>>Is there any why I can fix this?
>>>

>>Carefully peel off the foil label and get a SMALL drop of oil onto the
>>bearing. Works if caught early.
>>BUT ... you probably just lost the right to a free replacement :-(
>>Mostly I can't clean enough to get the stickum to stick again.
>>

>>>I may call the company I got the system from and ask them. Maybe I can
>>>have them send me a new power supply or fan.
>>>---------
>>>

>>---------
>>with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
>>

>---------

This is my main server were talking about here. I can't just take it off
line. The sound isn't bad but I find it annoying. With everything else
on and music playing it's hard to tell it's even there. I may just live
with it for a while.

Is there a way I can discharge the capacitors so I can safely remove the
fan?