if you want a BIG box, get Linux

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 17:50:43 AKDT

PJ, maybe, just maybe you are on the right side :-))
This is what I posted on our Alaska LUG page.
Enjoy

Top 500 Supers List Dominated By Exotic Clusters
Timothy Prickett Morgan
http://www.itjungle.com/breaking/bn062205-story01.html

  semi-annual list of the Top 500 supercomputers ... International
Supercomputer Conference in Heidelberg

... the aggregate number-crunching capacity of the entire Top 500 list
when it debuted in June 1993 was just over a teraflops. That is the
power of the smallest machine on the list 12 years later.

number 500 on the list, a Cray T3E1200 parallel supercomputer ... would
have been number 299 on the list only six months ago and would have been
the fifth most powerful machine in the world on the June 2000 list

Some 304 of the machines on the top 500 list are clusters ...

... 1.69 petaflops of aggregate power on the list ...
... IBM has 57.9 percent of total capacity on the list
... HP coming in second with 13.3 percent of the total

... Linux has come from out of nowhere in 1998 and had knocked out all
other non-Unix platforms by 2002, accounting for over 80 systems, and
now is the operating system of choice for more than two-thirds of the
platforms on the Top 500 list; Unix is used on all but a few remaining
systems.