Re: Building Freenx on Debian

From: Tim Jordan <tim@pcs-alaska.com>
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 14:29:01 AKDT

jonr wrote:

>Tim Jordan wrote:
>

>>Building Freenx on Debian:
>>
>>1. Include kalyxo in sources.list
>># freenx
>>deb http://kalyxo-archive.mornfall.net experimental main
>>
>>2. apt-get update
>>
>>3. apt-get install freenx
>>
>>4. Configuring ssh keys for freenx:
>>
>>NoMachine Keys: Allow login with the key shipped with the NoMachine
>>client. This is not as secure, but it simplifies the configuration of
>>clients.
>>
>>Custom keys: Create custom keys for freenx, while this is the most secure
>>option you will have to distribute the server key to all involved clients,
>>copy your server's
>>/var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key to your client's
>>/usr/NX/share/ and set it 0644.
>>
>>Remove freenx keys: Remove or don't create any keys and leave freenx
>>unconfigured, remember to use 'nxsetup' to set up freenx.
>>
>>* I used the freenx keys [NoMachine Keys] for this test build.
>>
>>5. Setup the freenx user account
>> freenx:/home/tim# nxserver --adduser tim
>>
>>6. Setup the freenx passwd
>>freenx:/home/tim# nxserver --passwd ****************
>>
>>6. Install the freenx client tools - you can get the windows client from NoMachine.com in the download section.
>>

>>Tim Jordan
>>

>Tim,
>
>I have looked at NoMachine a couple of times and my understanding was
>there was a cost involved with using their software or some portion of
>it. Is this the case?

FreeNX Server is the Free and GPL'd NX server implementation by Fabian
Franz, based on NoMachine.com <http://www.nomachine.com/>'s NX
technology. NoMachine have thankfully licensed the core of NX under the
GPL https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/freenx-knx

>Also, how would you say it stacks up to RDP and Citrix? Have you done
>any tests to see what the requirements are for the hardware and the
>network?

I have it setup on a P4 1.7ghz with 512MB RAM. I'm connecting over an
11MB wireless hop at work to my home server (dsl)... As far as the RDP
and Citrix info if you search the net you'll find that most people are
blown away...

I have used Citrix in production and it's a great product, if you can
afford it! I can't give you a comparison since I don't have Citrix now
and the hardware I'm using for my freenx server is an old desktop
machine. Performace wise, I have no complaints!!

>How much bandwidth does one client need to have, in citrix it
>is about 19-32KB of the pipe what about NoMachine?

You might want to look over the NoMachine site..
http://www.nomachine.com/kb/

>I would be very interested in anything else you have to say or have
>found out about this.

I found it easy to setup. The connection took about a minute then my
desktop loaded. Looks good and it seems faster than VNC.

Tim