Re: Building Freenx on Debian

From: jonr <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 14:04:22 AKDT

Tim Jordan wrote:
> Building Freenx on Debian:
>
> 1. Include kalyxo in sources.list
> # freenx
> deb http://kalyxo-archive.mornfall.net experimental main
>
> 2. apt-get update
>
> 3. apt-get install freenx
>
> 4. Configuring ssh keys for freenx:
>
> NoMachine Keys: Allow login with the key shipped with the NoMachine
> client. This is not as secure, but it simplifies the configuration of
> clients.
>
> Custom keys: Create custom keys for freenx, while this is the most secure
> option you will have to distribute the server key to all involved clients,
> copy your server's
> /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key to your client's
> /usr/NX/share/ and set it 0644.
>
> Remove freenx keys: Remove or don't create any keys and leave freenx
> unconfigured, remember to use 'nxsetup' to set up freenx.
>
> * I used the freenx keys [NoMachine Keys] for this test build.
>
> 5. Setup the freenx user account
> freenx:/home/tim# nxserver --adduser tim
>
> 6. Setup the freenx passwd
> freenx:/home/tim# nxserver --passwd ****************
>
> 6. Install the freenx client tools - you can get the windows client from NoMachine.com in the download section.
>

> Tim Jordan

Tim,

I have looked at NoMachine a couple of times and my understanding was
there was a cost involved with using their software or some portion of
it. Is this the case?

Also, how would you say it stacks up to RDP and Citrix? Have you done
any tests to see what the requirements are for the hardware and the
network? How much bandwidth does one client need to have, in citrix it
is about 19-32KB of the pipe what about NoMachine?

I would be very interested in anything else you have to say or have
found out about this.

Jon

Jon