ppp (final chapter)

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 22:48:00 AKDT

Well, I just could not figure out why I could not get pppconfig and ppp
and wvdial to authenticate my friends dial up connection. So I spent a
good bit of time waiting for ACS tech support this morning (Friday). It
was about 12:15 when the second tech support decided to try loggin in to
  my dial up account while I was logged in via dsl. I am going up Palmer
way and I may try to make a dial up connection with my laptop. Getting
and installing the correct Linuxant driver is another story, but I had
it working and I could not authenticate either. After about 10 or 15
minutes, the tech came back on the line and told me he logged in and he
checked the router and saw both my dsl and his dial in addresses etc. So
I hung up and gave it a try. It worked! So on to my friend. I got over
to his place, booted the machine, and noticed the dial up connection (on
boot) seemed to be holding. Sure enough, I could surf, so then it was a
matter of setting up kmail which is an arcane art in itself.

The bottom line: I can head to Palmer for my annual mosquito feeding
exercise without worrying about dial up connections that wouldn't
authenticate.

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Sarge" Stable