Win Some, Lose Some

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 23:10:31 AKDT

Greeting all,

Win: Since upgrading to the 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels and running "Sarge"
on my workstations, I have been disappointed that the ATX boxen did not
automatically power-off when I properly shut down (either command line
or the clicky-buttons). I tried a number of things to no avail. Well
<breathlessly> I just this evening tried out the new Knoppix v3.9 on my
"Studystation", an ATX box that had been refusing to power-off when
properly shut down. I always watch the boot messages, so I saw something
about the BIOS being 1999 and not past the 2002 line which meant
"acpi=force" was needed. Huh! After I played with the desktop for a few
minutes I went through the proper shut down (clicky-button) procedure.
The system shutdown and powered-off. Hmmm... Quick as a wink, I booted
from the hard disk, added the "acpi=force" argument to the kernel
parameter string with GRUB's handy editor, let it finish booting, and
then immediately went through the proper shut down procedure. Ha! There,
as I sat in gleeful anticipation, came that satisfying last "cluck" as
the box powered-off at the end of the shutdown cycle. Well, it didn't
take me long to modify the GRUB menu.lst on each of the three ATX boxen
and then while away an hour booting them up and shutting them down just
to hear that satisfying last "cluck" as they powered-off.

Lose: I have migrated a friend to Linux (Debian "Sarge" of course)
because he couldn't download his email when he connected to the Internet
via dial-up. It seemed something was using up his limited bandwidth.
That was about a year ago. The current problem is a dying hard drive. So
I installed a spare drive, loaded the latest and greatest Debian
"Sarge", and began to set it up for the dial-up connection to the
Internet. Even using the configuration files on the original drive as
guidance, I have not been able to get it to connect to Internet Alaska.
It dials, goes through the modem mating ritual, authenticates, but then
drops the connection because it won't setup the ppp properly. I sure
would appreciate some help. There are some new things in the new install
regarding resolv.conf and setting up the network stuff that I think I
have correct. The modem is external so it should not be a modem driver
problem. I use pppconfig to setup the connection, but it just does not work.

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm .^. Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska /v\ "Sarge" Stable
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service. /( )\ User Number 269482
                                             ^^-^^ "Seth" 186667