where are the recycled computers going?

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 12:59:38 AKDT

AKLUGers have been diverting usable computers from the waste stream.

We have demonstrated that new home users take to Open Source
applications and desktops. This is not just TheOpenCD stuff, we are
talking complete disk wipes and full Linux installs w/ games, office
suites, accounting, student helps, and hobby stuff.

We are getting more requests,
We are getting more efficient. and we are running out of machines :-))
Now it's time to ask for help with acquisitions.

Greenstar has pointed companies and private parties in our direction.
When the donor requires non-profit paper trails, then we route through
groups who qualify. Roger has equipped thirty Kids' Corps families that
formerly had no computer. KTNA, Talkeetna public radio uses some of what
we processed. Fielder helps Mable T. Caverly Senior Center using some.

Greg and Bob did Linux Community Schools. People are coming back.

Individuals are bringing monitors and machines.
It is time to ask for helpful contacts with IT managers.
Many worry about proper destruction the data on their hard drives.
We can provide wipe-tools and possibly help.

No, we can't handle a semi-trailer full of machines, but We have done
several pickup loads. Ten or a dozen is sweet. That makes for a class.

500-600 Mhz machines work, but we are seeing faster boxes.
10-12 Gb hard drives work, or a pair of eights.
16" monitors work, but 17" are likely newer. Linux knows
how to use memory, so we want more PC-100/133 memory sticks.
  64kb is OK, 128s are gold.
  keyboards and mice usually get trashed by corporate donors.

It might be worth soliciting cash contributions for the little stuff.

Tell us what you think, ...
but also tell someone who might be retiring some good boxes.