Re: Linux software RAID 5 recovery from a 1 TB Terastation

From: Matt Macander <mmacander@abrinc.com>
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 16:07:12 AKDT

Damien Hull wrote:
>Matt Macander wrote:
>

>>We have a 1 TB Terastation from Buffalo Tech with a RAID 5 array, that
>>will no longer boot after a botched firmware upgrade.
>>
>>The four 250 GB hard drives appear to be fine and I think that they are
>>a standard Linux software RAID array (formatted with XFS). I am trying
>>to mount the RAID array on a different computer so I can pull some data
>>off before sending the unit back to get replaced.
>>
>>I tried hooking them up to another computer and booting into the latest
>>version of Knoppix. Unfortunately, the full capacity of the drives
>>doesn't seem to be available and the RAID array cannot be reconstructed...
>>
>>hde: max request size 128 KiB
>>hde: 488397168 sectors (250059 MB) w/ 2048 KiB cache, CHS=30401/255/63
>>attempt to access beyond end of device
>>hde: rw=0, want=1460886144, limit=486962282
>>I/O error in filesystem ("hde3") meta-data deve hde3 blok
>>("XFS_read_buf") error 5 buf count 4096
>>and so on for drives hdf, hdg, and hdh
>>

>>I could find the root partition hde1 from Knoppix and the raid config
>>file mdadm.conf:
>>ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid5 num-devices=4 UUID=a39b74nb:...
>>devices=/dev/hda3,/dev/hdc3,/dev/hde3,/dev/hdg3
>>
>>I think the problem may be the very large size of the drives, though I'm
>>not sure how to get around it. Any ideas?
>>
>>Matt
>>---------
>>with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
>>

>Are you sure this is software raid? I have to ask. What follows is only
>true if you have software raid.
>
>Does knoppix have the raid tools. Fedora uses mdadm to manage software
>RAID. You will also need the raid device in /dev. On my server I have
>/dev/md0 for /boot and /dev/md1 for everything else.
>
>Also check to see if Knoppix can read XFS. Not all Linux distributions
>can read XFS.
>---------

Definitely software raid (according to the manufacturer, and I also
found the mdadm.conf file).

I know Knoppix can read XFS becasue the one partition that I can read
off the four drives is the non-raid XFS partition on the first drive
(where the /etc folder is located).

I tried adjusting the mdadm.conf file and running mdadm --assemble, but
it could not find superblocks on any of the devices.

That's when I noticed the errors in the log when the partitions were
initially scanned during bootup:

hde: max request size 128 KiB
hde: 488397168 sectors (250059 MB) w/ 2048 KiB cache, CHS=30401/255/63
attempt to access beyond end of device
hde: rw=0, want=1460886144, limit=486962282
I/O error in filesystem ("hde3") meta-data dev hde3 block
("XFS_read_buf") error 5 buf count 4096

That makes me think the full drive capacity is not being recognized somehow...