Re: Thunderbird sucking

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com>
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 13:06:59 AKDT

* Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org> [2005-04-21 21:46 +0200]:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:
> > set reverse_name # respond as the email address that received the mail
>
> That only solves part of the problem. That doesn't handle mail that comes
> from mailing lists, bcc'd mail, etc. You can't always rely on the envelope
> headers if that mail was originally delivered to an account on another box,
> and then forwarded from there, either.

That's true, mutt requires further commands to get that right - I have a
shell script that generates all the proper headers according to the
mailing list folder. Pine handles that gracefully (with minimal user
intervention)? If so, I'll take another look at it. I haven't tried it
since... 2001? I think that's right.

Thanks for the tip.

> > My biggest problem with Pine was the inability (when I tried it) to edit
> > received emails in place on an IMAP server (example: jokes, I'd edit
> > them to cut out all the cruft, then save them to my humor folder). It
> > wouldn't let you do it (that I remember, maybe you know how).
>
> Well, I don't do IMAP for my mail, so that's not an issue for me, nor do I
> know if it's been fixed.

I haven't used IMAP for mail in a while, found it to be a bit too much
trouble for a server that serves 12 members. However, when I did IMAP
was a pain no matter what software I used, so that might not be the best
example. Oh well, off to play with pine. ;]

Regards,

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]