Re: Linux is boring

From: Enkidu <enkidu.ak@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 17:40:57 AKST

Sorry this is so late, I was looking through my gmail account and
found this conversation buried in the back. You might try logging in
via ssh and checking ps aux for the culprit. Catch it in the act, so
to speak.

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:22:06 -0900, Stephen King
<sking@chartercollege.edu> wrote:
> You are either a whole lot luckier (or unluckier, depending on your
> take) or smarter than I. =20
>
> To quote an e-mail from a Linux (Xandros)-based client this morning:
> "My computer won't boot AGAIN!! It froze up while I was trying to print
> something off the internet and I tried to reboot it, but it would only
> come up to that blue screen after signing in with my password. I tried
> two more times, then I put in the Xandros disk. I did the "shift" key
> thing and then told it to "restore". It asked me questions, like which
> number do I want to restore (and only gave me a list of 1), so I picked
> "1". Then it asked me if I was sure I wanted to restore and I said
> "yes". Then it asked me if I wanted to change the command line, and I
> said "no" (of course). It said that my system has been restored, told
> me to remove the CD and hit the "enter" key to reboot. I did. Still
> nothing."
>
> They were trying to print the table of Iditarod mushers off the Iditarod
> site...shame on them for printing an HTML table. I tried the Restore
> option myself, and nothing. It accepts the login (both that user and
> root) and then goes to a big happy blue screen and sits there for as
> long as you have the patience to watch for. The Restore option had
> worked the last time I got called to work on that machine, a couple
> weeks ago. Then I tried the Rescue option, which dumped me into single
> user mode. Poked around in the file system to see what I could see.
> Nothing jumped out at me, so I tried Ye Olde Windows Trick of
> reinstalling over the top. That seems to have worked, 'cept now I have
> to reinstall Word Perfect and find the right printer driver again.
> Arrrrrrgh!
>
> So...question to the group: Any thoughts as to what I should'a
> checked/done to try to recover from the error? =20
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen King
> Instructor, Information Technology
> Charter College
> 2221 E. Northern Lights Suite 120
> Anchorage, AK 99508
> (907) 777-1370
> =20

Art

There is in certain living souls
A quality of loneliness unspeakable,
So great it must be shared
As company is shared by lesser beings.
Such a loneliness is mine; so know by this
That in immensity
There is one lonelier than you.