Re: ACS "tech support"

From: Tom <thogland@alaskatech.org>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 07:49:17 AKST

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 18:44 -0900, Royce Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, damien hull wrote:
> > The filtering that ACS has is to restrictive for me. GCI gives you an
> > Internet connection to do with as you pleas. If I want I can put up my
> > own mail server. You can't do that on ACS.
>
> Again, speaking for myself only (this is always true, even if I don't
> disclaim it as such):
>
> May I ask you to clarify what you mean by "can't"?
>
> I'm not aware of anything that currently prohibits inbound port 25
> traffic to any of our space. IIRC (#include disclaimer.h), ACS
> recommends that folks get a static or other business-grade
> connectivity to run server stuff, but there's nothing that prevents
> Joe Dynamic from doing low-volume SSH, SMTP, "Hey, hit my Gallery at
> dyndns.example.net:8080," or something similar. ACS probably does not
> guarantee anywhere that such things will always work (I don't know),
> but it works today.

There *is* this (from the DSL terms of service):

14. Restrictions

The PIPE DSL prices are set much lower than SmartNet business services
as PIPE DSL customers are expected to use the service for primarily
personal and recreational purposes. PIPE DSL customers agree not to run
any commercial servers in conjunction with the Services, including but
not limited to, Web, game, Electronic Mail, NAT, DHCP and DNS servers.
Under no circumstances may any PIPE DSL customer run a streaming
audio/video server, "shout-cast" station, MP3 or other audio or video
download area with the PIPE DSL service. In the event any PIPE DSL
customer attempts to utilize a commercial or any above-mentioned server
on the network, or if Customer's personal servers generate more than
average amounts of traffic and/or bandwidth usage, ACS Internet may, at
its sole discretion, increase the fees associated with the Services, or
terminate the Services.

Section 11 also says you're allowed one connection per DSL account, and
if they find you're using more than one simultaneous connection you can
be suspended immediately.

I'd say this qualifies as "prohibited" from a home account...

--
Tom <thogland@alaskatech.org>