Q&A with Matt Asay: Novell, OSRC and open source software

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 10:50:33 AKST

  Questions-and-Answers: Matt Asay of Novell and OSBC
http://management.itmanagersjournal.com/management/05/03/09/0129225.shtml?tid=85

ITMJ: How important is open source to Novell's business?
Asay: Open source is the foundation for everything Novell does. ...

ITMJ: What drives Novell's open source roadmap?
Asay: Customers. ...

ITMJ: Are there limits to what can be accomplished with open source?
Asay: I hesitate to answer this, because I keep being wrong when ...

ITMJ: How has open source changed the software industry?
Asay: Open source continues to shift control of IT toward the buyer, and
away from vendors. ...

ITMJ: Why should enterprises give consideration to using open source?
Asay: Because successful open source software development generally
provides cheaper, more stable, more secure software than does the most
successful commercial software companies.

Matt Asay:
- is part of Novell's Linux Business Office and chairs the company's
. Open Source Review Board ...

- co-founder of the Open Source Business Conference
- was general manager at Lineo

- earned his Juris Doctorate degree at Stanford Law School, spending two
. of his three years studying software licensing and innovation, and
. specifically the GNU General Public License, under Prof. Larry Lessig.