Re: linux/SATA boot device

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 12:00:33 AKST

volz wrote:

>How can I determine if a particular mb with onboard SATA will work with FC3?
>
>I know the chipset.
>
>Googled some anecdotal evidence to suggest booting linux from SATA is occasionally
>problematic.
>
>--
>Karl Volz
>(907)264-7427
>volz@aeff.uaa.alaska.edu

You can try to search specific forums or help pages for your specific
chipset.

It totally depends on how old the chipset is, and if it's been built
into the kernel (and more importantly, built into the kernel the install
disk runs on)

Anecdotal evidence from me: My boss got a shuttle box with SATA, but
can't use it because the chipset wasn't supported by the OS he installed
(RH9). A coworker just installed FC1 onto a dell server with SATA the
other day, software RAID1.

adam