Re: Finding a name inside of an email

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 11:33:35 AKST

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:

> Ok, so I guess I need some education: Why wouldn't passing a partial
> filename cause an error? I use the double quotes, too, but I didn't
> realize that they would complete filename... Hrm... or did you use an
> asterisk to allow the filesystem to complete? Just wondering. I need
> to learn my one thing for the day. ;]

You're missing the fact that the solutions we've been discussing has nothing
to do with my process for converting maildir to mbox. The original requester
was *parsing* the files looking for a specific one. I'm globbing them all and
doing no parsing. In a nutshell all I'm doing is:

  for file in new/* ; do
    formail -I Status: < "$file" >> ./mbox
  done

So, as you can see, the solution we're discussing (and my errant extraction
with cut) has nothing to do with my batch import. I only mentioned it because
I just had to deal with the same type of files, but never noticed that the
filenames had colons. It was a "Gee, I should have known that!"/head-slapping
acknowledgement, nothing more.

> Yeah, that's always good. I'm learning that, slowly but surely. My
> latest adventure is writing a website generation script, as I'm tired of
> never quite being able to get what I want from the software that's out
> there. I'm using python to do it, but was thinking about using sh for
> the longest time. Finally decided that sh would be too unwieldy for
> this type of project.

:-) Perl & the Template Toolkit is what I use for that.

        --Arthur Corliss