Re: MySQL - Windows vs Linux Performance

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 11:27:29 AKST

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Joshua Kugler wrote:

> It will depend on hardware, of course, but I believe you will get better
> performance under Linux. If you can take the time, there are benchmark
> scripts you can run yourself to test this out.
>
> As to the time it would take on 1.9 million rows, that's not a lot, in
> reality. Just make sure you have indexes that are well defined for the type
> of data you need to retrieve from the table.

That many rows can get pretty ugly depending on the number of columns, the
selection criteria, etc., *especially* if any of those columns are VARCHARS or
any type of blobs. You may have to make sure your selects are specifying
specific indices to use, and possibly even generate some compound indices.

Here's where an experience DBA is worth his/her weight in gold. There's only
so much optimisation us sys-admins can do at the OS/hardware layer. A badly
written query and poor schema can make anything run like a snail....

        --Arthur Corliss