Re: Debian RAID-1 problem

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 22:23:57 AKST

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, KJA List Mail wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm having trouble getting Debian 3.0 to boot off of a RAID-1 array. I or=
> iginally installed onto the first SATA hard disk, but now I'm trying to c=
> onvert it into a mirror array with the second disk. I created a degraded =
> RAID-1 array /dev/md0 with only /dev/sdb1 as a member, mounted it, format=
> ted it, and rsynced the contents of /dev/sda1 over to it. Am I doing this=
> the right way? When GRUB attempts to boot off the array, the kernel pani=
> cks, claiming "ext3-fs: cannot read superblock". However, when I boot off=
> of sda1 the array md0 shows up fine with sdb1 as a member.
>
> Debian 3.0 Woody with custom kernel-2.6.10 with raid1 compiled in, 2x 80G=
> b SATA hard disks.
>
> I've scoured ever message board, forum, and howto document I could find o=
> n the subject with no luck. Help greatly appreciated.

I use LILO rather than Grub, but I've found that you must install the boot
block in the MBR only. If you try to install it into the partition superblock
you can end up destroying the filesystem.

Of course, that's just how I ended up getting all that to work. There's
probably at least a hundred ways to do them right, and I may be way off. ;-)

        --Arthur Corliss