Re: Dumb Question

From: JP <mondayak@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 17:37:58 AKST

while we are on the topic of GNU. does anyone know how it is supposed
to be pronounced? i've always said it 'new', but then i thought about
that G. which brings me to 'gah-new'. Which is right?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:31:43 -0900, patp <pprout@gci.net> wrote:

> Richard Stallman was up here a few years ago and explained the whole thing in
> detail.
> For as much detail as you want start at:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-history.html
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
>
> I got the impression he was smart but a mad-monk type.
> rough on the edges but has a worthy goal.
>

> On Thursday 10 February 2005 12:55, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Matthew Dunaway wrote:
> > > So I take it that the G doesn't stand for anything??
> > > Linux people are so weird sometimes.
> >
> > No, it stands for GNU, hence the recursion. It's an infinite acronym
> > decoding loop for amusement's sake...
> >
> > --Arthur Corliss
> > Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/
> > Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/
> > "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto
> > ---------

(907)-248-4228
First he made hangovers, now half women half sharks who won't even
sleep with me, thanks for nothing God!(redvsblue.com)