Re: UPS and auto shutdown

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 12:33:20 AKST

dahien hull wrote:
> What brand of UPS should I get? I need one that will shutdown a Linux
> system. I'm currently looking into apcupsd at http://www.apcupsd.com/
> which means I would have to get an APC.

I really like nut, it is client server and you can get a windows client
for it which makes it great for shutting down your entire network. You
can buy cheap $25 dumb upses from compusa and install them on each
workstation then use the winnut client to query the ups status from the
server. This way when the power goes out the workstations shut down
gracefully, but only at a $25 per workstation cost.

I have been buying my upses from dell lately because they are APC but
they are cheaper than the APC packaged ups. The smart-ups models
support both serial and usb and work quite well.

schu