SchoolLINUX.com takes off

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 19:30:59 AKST

A three-person Linux company was inundated this week with requests for a
product it had not expected to be so successful.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39184119,00.htm

IT teachers attending the BETT educational technology show in London
flocked to SchoolLINUX.com's stand to place orders for its desktop
operating system (OS), called SchoolLINUX OS.
"This is the first time we've shown it to anyone," said Paul Jenkins, ...
"I think this is because [the OS] gives people the opportunity to reuse
old PCs. It lets schools do want they want -- keep computers," ...

Jenkins said he was surprised that so many people had taken an interest
in the OS as he and his two partners, both university computing
students, were not expecting the interest.

The self-funded company is less than a year old, but has already turned
over £80,000 in its first six months.