Massachusetts to require non-proprietary formats for digital documents

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 20:26:09 AKST

Boston Business Journal
Bay State to adopt open-source digital document requirement

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2005/01/10/daily77.html?jst=b_ln_hl

  Massachusetts ... planning to require all state agencies to create and
store information in noncommercial software programs such as HTM and PDF.

  ... the policy is intended to ensure that the state will be able to
convert digital documents to new formats decades down the road.

  "We have keep (public) documents open and free," Kriss said. "We can't
have them locked up in a proprietary format."