Re: GCI filtering port 139?

From: Beau V.C. Bellamy <beau@borealisbroadband.net>
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 01:23:50 AKST

But generally requires specific knowledge to exploit. It's really hard to
probe for the ip it responds to. You could always use social engineering to
narrow it down, but that still leaves you with having to be on a routable
network for the spoof. IP filtering is definatly not a 100% solution, but it
certainly helps. It'll stop most hackers who would otherwise go for other,
easier machines, but not the dedicated ones who know the addressing sceme
he's using. IP filtering can be very effective especially when used with a
proactive IDS. The way I see it, it's just as secure as using telnet and
smtp. Unless a malicious tech at your ISP is sniffing traffic, you should be
fine.

- Beau