Re: GCI filtering port 139?

From: Beau V.C. Bellamy <beau@borealisbroadband.net>
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 21:49:13 AKST

Uhm... I'm gessing you guys arn't familier with IP filtering. He is
talking about locking it down to one IP address. This should be fine.
Unless, of course, the attacker finds out which ip address it's locked down
to, then starts spoofing it. I really only see this as a risk with people
you have told the IP to and those who lie in the intervening or adjacent
networks. In this case: Local Network, GCI, upstreams, ACS, Remote Network.
Proper routing rules should mitigate the posibility of spoofing from outside
sources. This is assuming that GCI, ACS, and their upstreams have this
functionality in place. *caveat* I've been wrong in assuming such things
before.

In other words, I am disagreeing with certain others here on list about the
severity of the risks associated with leaving an SMB server on the internet
in the configuration your specified. I think you are definately a lot safer
with this approach. There are still risks involved, though, much less so.
Ultimately, i'd recommend an encrypted tunneling system anyway. The choice
is yours.

Sincerely,
- Beau