Re: Christmas and USB devices question

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Sat Dec 25 2004 - 20:23:16 AKST

On Saturday 25 December 2004 04:43 pm, W.D.McKinney wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 01:30 -0900, adam bultman wrote:
> > What I do for my USB stuff ( mostly my camera) I'll boot the system
> > with the USB disconnected; then once it's booted, put in the USB
> > device, power it on (if necessary) and then the system (if the
> > module is loaded correctly) will say something about a scsi disk,
> > which you can then mount.
> >
> > For me, it's /dev/sda. I always do it *last* because that makes it
> > easier to identify.
> >
> > Adam
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> But in this case, all my SCSI devices are up and then I have a hard
> time figuring which device to mount for the MP3 player ?
> /dev/md0 on /work type reiserfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,acl) is a
> software raid 5 divice, with all of the following
>
> > >Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type
> > > 0 Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 8, lun 0,
> > > type 5 Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun
> > > 0, type 0 Attached scsi generic sg3 at scsi1, channel 0, id 1,
> > > lun 0, type 0 Attached scsi generic sg4 at scsi1, channel 0, id
> > > 2, lun 0, type 0 Attached scsi generic sg5 at scsi1, channel 0,
> > > id 3, lun 0, type 0 Attached scsi generic sg6 at scsi1, channel
> > > 0, id 4, lun 0, type 0 Attached scsi generic sg7 at scsi1,
> > > channel 0, id 5, lun 0, type 0 Attached scsi generic sg8 at
> > > scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0, type 0
>
> When I plug it in it says in /var/log/messages
>
> Dec 25 16:40:18 papa kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
> address 6
> Dec 25 16:40:19 papa kernel: usb 1-2: Product: TDK UniFi Audio Player
> Dec 25 16:40:19 papa kernel: usb 1-2: Manufacturer: TDK UniFi
>

> So the USB sub-system sees it OK.
>
> sda & sdb are my hard drives, with all of the others being the md0
> devices.
>
> Any other ideas ?

My setup is somewhat similar, while it may be hard to figure out which
scsi device is your media player, in fact, it is just another scsi
device in the naming scheme, maybe try some out. Udev & pmount is
supposed to take care of this issue, (I haven't used it yet) there is a
config file that teach item has an entry based on the manufacturers
data so it can mount each item the same way when plugged/unplugged.

Peace

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.