Re: mount attache usb jump drive

From: William Bouterse <bill@bouterse.com>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 18:45:31 AKST

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:48:04 -0900
"volz" <volz@climate.uaa.alaska.edu> wrote:

> Trying to mount a PNY "Attache" 256 mb usb drive on a redhat linux box.
>
> We have the drive identified as /dev/sda a mount point exists and there is an entry in
> fstab to wit:
>
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash auto user
>
> Comes back with a "no medium present" Also dmesg makes noise about the size being 1Gb
> but know it is a 256m device?
>
> Any tricks or howto's? I have mounted other usb devices with vfat filesystems on them,
> but I haven't had any luck with usb flash memory unless it is in a card reader. I figure
> there has to be a way.

I have used several varieties with success on Mandrake.
Not that one specifically but from various other manufacturers.
This is my fstab entry at present....

#/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/removable auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec 0 0

This is 10.0 with kernel 2.6.3-15mdk

On occasion I have had to remove and reinsert watching with
tail -f /var/log/messages to see if any errors are apparent....

William (Bill) Bouterse
Talkeetna