Re: Gimp-Print ?

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 00:04:51 AKST

On Saturday 18 December 2004 11:14 pm, bryan@ak.net wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 06:45:42PM -0900, Ayden <whitty@reeve.com>
wrote:
> > But uninstalling a program doesn't delete all the files that it
> > installed....
>
> Doesn't it? It should in most if not all cases. Of course,
> it depends on the particular package, and the installation
> method. Packages for different distros -- deb, rpm, etc --
> can do things the way they think is best; if you install from
> source, most packages have a 'make uninstall' option that
> will clean out what was installed.
>
> In general, if you install a package, and then decide to
> remove it -- it doesn't work, you're upgrading, or you simply
> don't want it -- you should be able to remove any trace that
> it was there in the first place.

 I know that the Debian package management system doesn't remove all
apps & libs installed. It may remove the main app but it doesn't do
anything to the depends it installed. You can use 'deborphan' to find
the 'cruft' left behind but apt doesn't do this as part of package
removal. A 'revert to previous state' type of system would simplify
things, though Debian does have all the tools to get the job done, you
just need to know more.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.