Re: Gimp-Print ?

From: <bryan@ak.net>
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 16:46:36 AKST

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 09:58:46AM -0900, Whitham Reee <whitty@reeve.com> wrote:
> It is doubtful that you will need to uninstall anything. In the process
> of installing the new version, it will just write over conflicting
> files. Just grab the latest source and install it....
>
> Anybody else ever uninstalled something because of upgrading?

I *always* uninstall before upgrading. If you don't, you can have
obsolete files left over from each upgrade, and if you do this with
lots of packages, you can end up with quite a bit of useless cruft
sitting on your hard drive. That can be confusing when you're
looking around your system, trying to see what's what.

My philosophy is along the lines of "a place for each file, and each
file in its place". Of course, I don't always live up to that (or
any other) philosophy, but I keep systems around long-term, and they
can get messy if you don't make an effort to keep them clean.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net