Re: re-introducing a Religious discussion: UPS's and Line Conditioners.

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 12:01:05 AKST

Thomison, Lee wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> What's the current dogma on line conditioners (not the mov surge
> suppressor kind, but the big soft iron transformers and coils and lots
> of passive elements kind) and UPSes (both the big ones, and the
> 'desk-side' APC's and tripplites).
>
> 1. If you have a UPS, does it inherently include line conditioning?
> Or, do you need a line conditioner along with the UPS?
>
> 2. If yes, does the line conditioner go before or after the UPS?

I have been using this ups:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&sku=310-1320&category_id=4116

It's a basically a dell rebadged APC 1500 and supports usb or serial
both of which work in linux. The unit usually about $100 cheaper than
the APC even though its the same. It's big enough to power a couple of
servers for 10 minutes before shutting down.

I use the network ups tools (NUT) for monitoring since it is
client/server. At my house, I put a cheap $25 dumb ups on my wifes
machine, then put the nut client on it and it reads the power status
over the network effectively giving me shutdown functionality even on a
dump ups. It's a great solution for a small office: Buy a nice smart
ups for the server, then offer the status to the clients, then add $25
to the cost of the client machines and the entire system is protected
from power outages.

schu