Re: re-introducing a Religious discussion: UPS's and Line Conditioners.

From: Christopher E. Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 02:24:12 AKST

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Thomison, Lee wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> What's the current dogma on line conditioners (not the mov surge
> suppressor kind, but the big soft iron transformers and coils and lots
> of passive elements kind) and UPSes (both the big ones, and the
> 'desk-side' APC's and tripplites).
>
> 1. If you have a UPS, does it inherently include line conditioning?
> Or, do you need a line conditioner along with the UPS?
>
> 2. If yes, does the line conditioner go before or after the UPS?

1) No, not common models.

2) Neither

Common UPS systems *do not* clean up power in any real way. If it goes to
high/low, freq is off/etc they cut to internal power.

That being said, high end UPSes do have a ferro-resonant multi-tap
transformers, they can stabilize voltage and do basic stepup and stepdown
without transfering to internal power.

The smallest I can think of would be say an APC RM1400-XL (1.2Kw, takes
external aux batt packs, normally fitted with a management card than can
tell you all the temps voltages and freqs/etc).

These types can be *very* useful when a remote site does something like
cut over to an overloaded genset that is only providing 105VAC, instead of
cutting to internal power somewhere around 115VAC they just change
transformer taps to step up to ~ 125VAC.