Re: Mysql/PHP/Apache

From: Joshua Kugler <joshua.kugler@uaf.edu>
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 09:27:14 AKST

On Monday 29 November 2004 18:29, Barsalou wrote:
> I am trying to get LAMP working on a Windows box and I am stuck trying to
> get phpmyadmin to work.
>
> I get an error about the client not being new enough. I have found the
> referenced error in the FAQ's but there are no good steps to correct the
> problem.

MySQL 4.1 uses a new password hashing scheme, and instead of upgrading the
current MySQL interface, PHP uses a different API (imysql, I believe for
improved MysQL. In all fairness, other things about the API are improved
too). So, to use MySQL with a pre compiled PHP, you need to tell your MySQL
server to use (or at least be compatible with) the old password scheme. To
do this, add

old-passwords=1

to your /etc/my.cnf under the [mysqld] section. Also, you'll have to
(probably manually) set a password using the "old_password" function.

Alternatively, you might want to see if there is a version of PHPMyAdmin that
is written for MySQL 4.1.

Oh...just thought of this: make sure the mysql libraries on your system are up
to date (as in, equal to the version of mysql you have installed). If you
are using 4.x or before client libraries, PHP will use those libs, but will
not be able to access the extended funtionality of MySQL 4.1.

Hope that helps!

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator