SSH & Public Key Authentication

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 15:58:03 AKST

Just figured out how to use Public Key Authentication with ssh. This is
cool stuff. It works like PGP where the server has the public key and I
have the privet key.

A few weeks back I noticed someone trying to log into my system through
ssh. They tried different user accounts and passwords but they didn't
get in. Using Public Key Authentication this type of attack won't work.
If the attacker doesn't have the key they can't get in. There is also no
way for them to try a password because I have that turned off.

I've also disabled remote root login. You have to login as a user and
then su to root if you need root access.

The really nice thing about Public Key Authentication is that I don't
have to type a password any more.

If anyone wants to set this up I can send you my "sshd_config". This
will configure sshd for Public Key Authentication only.

--
Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>