Re: Web Hosting Options

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com>
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 22:06:52 AKST

* Justin Dieters <enderak@mtaonline.net> [2004-11-11 03:07 +0100]:
> GCI doesn't charge a monthly fee for DNS hosting, but they do charge
> like a $50 setup fee for it. Plus you would have the $10/month static IP.
> MTA charges $10/month for the static IP and $10/month for the DNS -
> which is pretty steep over the course of a year. Instead I now use
> dyndns.org's Custom DNS service. $25/year and I just have to update
> every time the power goes out.. Smoothwall/IPCop does provide the
> ability to automaticaly update your dyndns info when your IP changes,
> but I can't get it to work with the Custom DNS service - only their free
> service.

You might want to check out m0n0wall - I've seen good things about their
dyndns client. Also, check everydns.net, they have a perl client that's
very lightweight, and requires some cron scripting to get to work.

I currently use everydns.net.

Oh, and I hosted my website off of GCI for years, never had an issue
with the upload cap, but watch out for the monthly limit. ;]

Regards,

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]