Re: Web Hosting Options

From: Justin Dieters <enderak@mtaonline.net>
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 17:07:19 AKST

I hosted my website (enderak.com) on GCI Cable for several years. At
only 128K up, it was pretty slow. Fast enough for what I used it for -
personal website, e-mail, and the occasional school or work thing.

Now, I have MTA DTV, which includes 768 upload over DSL. It's much
faster, which is nice when I am grabbing a large file from home via scp,
but otherwise I don't notice much difference.

GCI doesn't charge a monthly fee for DNS hosting, but they do charge
like a $50 setup fee for it. Plus you would have the $10/month static IP.
MTA charges $10/month for the static IP and $10/month for the DNS -
which is pretty steep over the course of a year. Instead I now use
dyndns.org's Custom DNS service. $25/year and I just have to update
every time the power goes out.. Smoothwall/IPCop does provide the
ability to automaticaly update your dyndns info when your IP changes,
but I can't get it to work with the Custom DNS service - only their free
service.

Never dealt with ACS, so if you are in Anchorage, the MTA information
might not help you.

Justin