Re: video capture

From: Shortpier <shortpier@shortpier.is-a-geek.com>
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 08:07:52 AKST

I have used ati-all-in-wonders, BTTV cards etc, I just bought a
hauppage wintv-pvr (usb2 model THAT is NOT supported under linux (yet
:) But I love its quality (been doing old vhs, and sat tv (edit out
comercials and burn dvd) and the quality of the capture is better then
my settop dvdrecorder at its BEST setting.
If you want the best quality you either need a fast machine (software
compression) or a hauppage win pvr 250 or 350 (hardware based mpeg1 and
Mpeg2 capture) the diffrence between the 250 and 350 is 350 has hardware
mpeg decoder and tv-out (Mpeg only) and a fm tuner. 250 has just
inputs. pvr 250 is $149 at Compusa, pvr 350 is about $199. at newegg.com.

Check out MythTv, Frevo and a few others.... that are "intergrated"
packages/programs.

Most vid capture I do under linux (have a server deployed streaming
security cams over the inet) is done with a bttv card (frame grabber) I
am sending out 3 streams from ffmpeg and ffserver Plus doing still
captures every 15 seconds. It runs about 27% of an Athalon Xp 2700 for
the whole system,
Hope this gives you a clue on how to get going.

Shortpier