Re: Most upgradeable distro?

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 15:46:47 AKST

On Sunday 07 November 2004 12:48 pm, Mac Mason wrote:
> See, I would say Debian Stable or FreeBSD.
> Certainly not gentoo; I love my gentoo install, and portage makes
> upgrades easy, but the pace of development (including changes to
> portage, and changes to how things are done generally) is still too
> fast for my taste. (At least in a server environment).
>
> --Mac

Debian or Debian based.( Ubuntu, Userlinux) A lot of folks complain of
outdated packages on Debian Stable, but I like the long release cycle,
as long as the basic functionality is there for what I do. The upcoming
Sarge release will be the first release to adequately support a
business desktop environment, all the latest from the major Free
software camps.

Debian fits the bill as a very manageable system also, and Debian
Testing is not any more dangerous to use, for desktops, than any other
distro providing the same packages.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.