Re: someone at The Daily Mississippian gets it right about Linux

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 13:19:14 AKDT

On Friday 29 October 2004 12:30 pm, Stephen King wrote:
> <Devil's Advocate Mode>
> Yes, but...I look at the hours and hours and hours I've spent over
> the past several months working through issues between RedHat and
> Xandros and Novell, at the fact that many of these "free alternative"
> packages require a fair amount of programming knowledge or pure luck
> (or both) just to compile so you can *then* try to install them...and
> I can see where people are quite happy in pre-compiled,
> most-things-work-out-of-the-box Microsoft land. *still twitching* I
> just don't _wanna_ spend the rest of my life RTFM'ing. I've got a
> nice, pretty book about hobbitses and stuff that I wanna read if I
> can _ever_ climb out of compiling hell.
> </DAM>
> Alright, flame me if ya gotta.

Compile software, you must be listening to the wrongs folks :) The top
Linux distros don't require any compiling to use and are , except for
Debian, just point and click. If you have a need for an application
that isn't offered or is better than the one in Linux then other OS's
become a necessary option.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.