ATA over Ethernet

From: Joshua Kugler <joshua.kugler@uaf.edu>
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 09:09:50 AKDT

For all you storage junkies:

Right now we're looking at putting a large RAID array into production for use
as a backup server (offsite). In researching and pricing things out, I came
across CoRaid's <http://www.coraid.com> ATA over Ethernet (AoE) systems.
I've been reading, and must say that I'm quite intrigued.

While a server full of disks can (sometimes) be had for less than $2/GB, that
leads to issues when you want to upgrade. With the CoRaid shelves, you
simply add another one. And on the other end, SCSI to SATA systems are well
over $2/GB. And well, Fibre Channel, that's just not an option at this
point.

So...has anyone here had experience with these things? An article at
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS3189760067.html gives a nice overview for the
curious. Comments?

--
Joshua Kugler