Re: get slackware

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 23:23:54 AKDT

Jacob Ward wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:17:35 -0800, Ayden <whitty@reeve.com> wrote:
>

>>There's been lots of things like this...
>>slapt-get
>>swaret
>>etc
>>
>>all of these i hate...horribly. Slackware was never meant for a portage
>>like system. It makes me shiver when i go into machines that have
>>swaret or slapt-get in them. I've had my machine fail very badly when i
>>updated using swaret. Not about to make the same mistake again. If
>>you're looking for a portage system, gentoo or debian!
>>
>>whitham

Hate's a strong word.

When configured correctly, things like apt-get, emerge, yum, etc, are
lifesavers. If you have less than a handful of machines to keep up to
date, it might be easy to do it by hand. More than that, though, and
keeping them up to date is difficult. Even more so when when you need it
done automagically...

Adam