[Fwd: RE: ITExpo]

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 10:43:29 AKDT

-- Desc: Forwarded message - RE: ITExpo

Subject: RE: ITExpo
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:57:03 -0800
From: "Stephen King" <sking@chartercollege.edu>
To: "Damien Hull" <dhull@digitaloverload.net>, <deem@wdm.com>, <barjunk@attglobal.net>

Well...I can't seem to post to the list any more; not sure where the problem is, but in the meantime I'll just reply to you folks and ask that if you feel it should be forwarded to the list, please feel free.

I've been somewhat involved in the ITExpo planning from the beginning this year...work schedule kicked me out of the inner circle. Regardless, I can certainly talk to the money issue. Technically, the ITExpo is merely an event, not a business. Sourdough Productions is the group with the experience and horsepower to put an event of that magnitude together using the Egan Center facilities and the vendor space; yes, they're a for-profit group. And yes, they're taking money from the vendors as well as a bite out of the presentation fees to pay for their efforts of hosting the event. Personally, I don't think they're taking anything exorbitant.

Sourdough Productions has asked AITP to be their technical spearhead for getting all the classes together. AITP is a non-profit group; the money they raise from this will go into the community (and to meet club expenses in putting it on, of course).

The AITP then...well, if it were an official money game the word would be sub-contracted, but there's no money changing hands in this...asked NUGA to present the track that they're doing. That does include the two install fests. NUGA is also a non-profit; as that group's Community Service Coordinator I'll tell you first-hand that quite a bit of the money raised from that will also go back into the community in the form of service projects. The thought was to raise a little money by collecting a fairly nominal fee for the classes. The two installfests were priced a little higher because folks are getting something of significantly greater value...professional training on some high-class O/S's plus a copy of the O/S. In the Microsoft case, it's a local MCT with a significant amount of experience leading the thrust. In the SuSE case, Novell is flying in a professional trainer.

Overall, I'm pretty excited to see it come together. I think that what you're gonna see downstairs in the Egan is going to blow all the previous ITExpo's out of the water. Both NUGA and AITP have put together some great training tracks with professional, experienced trainers.

Stephen King