Re: Exchange Alternative

From: Anthony Valentine <amv@akvalentine.com>
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 10:27:05 AKDT

Jamie Hushower wrote:

>A Google search brings up a fair number of commercial alternatives to MS
>Exchange. Does anyone know of an open source alternative? I'm not extremely
>concerned about stability as it is for my home network. I do want to stay
>with Outlook as a client because my wife loves it and I need it to sync with
>my Pocket PC. Thanks.
>
>-Jamie
>
>--
>Jamie Hushower
>Computer Consultant
>Rent-A-Geek
>223-9136
>

>---------

Try looking into the Following:

OpenGroupware.org - http://www.opengroupware.org/
    GPL'd, however integration with Outlook may need a closed-source plugin.

SUSE/Novell's openexchange -
http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/openexchange/

    The core of the software is GPL, but not all of it.

    From their site:
        "A fair license policy is a hallmark of SUSE LINUX. Thus, the
e-mail
        core functions of Openexchange Server are free of license fees, and
        the license fee for the groupware is lower than that of most
competitor
        products, as numerous independent studies show."

Depends on how much like Exchange you want to get. Full groupware
integration, or just a compatible mail server and shared global address
book?

The following two links are guides to setting up robust mail servers on
Gentoo (even if you don't use Gentoo, they may provide some ideas/help
on where to go next). I am using the Postfix setup, the first of the
two, for my home mail server.

    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/qmail-howto.xml

A tutorial on setting up an LDAP address book can be found here:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-linuxldap-i.html?S_TACT=104AHW18&S_CMP=ZHP

Good Luck!

Anthony