Re: computer wont boot

From: Adam Bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 14:39:48 AKDT

When you heard the 'pop', did you smell the stench of burning
electronics? Usually the 'pop' is a very bad thing. Check the
motherboard and cards for visibly burned chips. Also check around for
loose electrical connections - 4 or 3 pin connections hanging off, or
even connections to drives/etc where the cable isn't all the way in to
the connector, or in very tightly. If you get lights from the
motherboard, you might be POSTing and not know it. If you have one, swap
out the video card, and try again.. (I've had power cables fall, swing
out, touch chips/conections and fry motherboards before).

Try also unplugging the power, unplug the power from the motherboard,
and let it sit for a few hours.

The pop is almost always a sign that things are borked, it's just a
matter of finding what's toast.

I had something LIKE this on a box a few weeks ago. Lights would turn
on, fan would spin, but it wouldn't boot. I swapped the motherboard
out from another, identical system, and for some reason, both boxes
booted fine (And are still running, I might add). I think unplugging
the power from it fro a few hours was all it needed. However, it's never
a good sign when you need to do that, and can either be a power supply
(swapped out already, in your case) or the motherboard.

Adam