Fixing GRUB to access boot partition

From: Brandon Barnes <jbbarnes@gci.net>
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 18:02:03 AKDT

Last weekend I bought SuSE 9.1 Pro to install on my AMD64 system. I
installed the 64 bit version as follows:

hdf1: swap
hdf2: /

No problems. I left free space at the end of the drive and later
installed the 32-bit version on hdf3 so I could compare performance. I
thought that GRUB would get updated so I could choose which one to boot.
Instead, it only let me boot into the 32-bit version.

I mounted hdf2 so I could check its grub.conf. I thought I could add
that information to hdf3's grub.conf, but found that they were
identical. In fact, I'm not even sure changes are recognized because
altering other lines, like the timeout, makes no difference. Am I
missing a step here?

I can certainly reinstall to get a 64-bit system again (which would make
the 32-bit go away.) But what should I do to make both versions
available through GRUB? I'll fill in any necessary information you need.

Thanks,
Brandon