Re: Salvation Army terminal server

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 12:37:57 AKDT

Hi Damien, et al.

Here is what I would do, which I realize may not solve your problem as
stated:

1. I would use the cli with adduser and friends to create users and
groups.
 a. I would create common groups first with addgroup.
 b. I would figure out the command line options to adduser to do what I
 wanted to do for these users. For example:
   adduser --ingroup <common_group>
 will put a new user in the common group created in a.

2. I would set up all the special defaults in /etc/sauser.conf and call
adduser with --conf sauser.conf. I have not tried this, so I expect the
first time around would be rather intensive. For example:
  SKEL = /etc/saskel/
would take the files from /etc/saskel/ instead of the default /etc/skel/

3. I would remove all the various terminal emulators from the kde menus
and also eliminate the system stuff including "run command". Although I
wonder why you want to prevent users from accessing the command line.
They really can't hurt the system although I suppose they could mess up
their own sandbox. The real problem here is I don't know enough about
kde to understand how to setup a special desktop default. I bet there is
a way.

Here is an interesting link along these lines:

  http://dot.kde.org/1088363665/

Preview on kNX Client and FreeNX Server for LinuxTag Visitors

Cheerio! fgd.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 01:16:10PM -0800, Damien Hull wrote:
> I ran into all kinds of problems setting up the terminal server for the
> salvation army. There are a lack of tools for creating and managing user
> accounts.
>
> Here's what I want to do.
> 1. create users and groups
> 2. give each user the same desktop settings
> 3. prevent users from accessing the command line
>
> I've figured some things out but it's been a slow process. If anyone
> knows of any tools I can use to do this with let me know. I need all the
> help I can get.
>
> I did try KDE's kiosktool. It's ok but not great. I would like something
> better.
>
> Right now I'm setting up a new server that I'll swap out with the other
> one. I hope to swap it out on Wens day

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Sarge" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^  "Seth" 186667