Re: Opening apps in the background

From: <bryan@ak.net>
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 22:51:01 AKDT

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 06:57:08AM -0800, James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net> wrote:

> But it seems to me that using wm flags would make the script much less
> portable - doesn't that mean that the script wouldn't necessarily work on a
> Gnome desktop using sawfish?

Yes, it does, but it's unavoidable. We're not talking about running
a job in the background, like you can do with & on the command line.
We're talking about which window has the keyboard focus, which is
exactly the type of thing that window managers were designed to take
care of. Neither the OS nor X cares at all about focusing windows.
If that's what you want to control, the solution will necessarily
depend on which wm you're using.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net