Re: Opening apps in the background

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 06:57:08 AKDT

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 01:46:30 -0800
bryan@ak.net wrote:

> This is a window manager issue, of course, so it would depend on which
> one you're using. sawfish, for example, has an option to "focus new
> windows" that can be switched off.
>
> Take a look at your wm customization options, and if you don't find
> something promising, let us know which wm you're using. Maybe
> someone here will know.

I'm using kwm (Debian Sarge, standard KDE 3.2 desktop).

Hmm. I suppose that the wm is the way to go -- I'll take a look after work. But it seems to me that using wm flags would make the script much less portable - doesn't that mean that the script wouldn't necessarily work on a Gnome desktop using sawfish?

Maybe there's another display utility that will background itself, instead of xslideshow. I just picked that because I had it available and it comes up quickly. (I've got the Gimp too, but I don't like waiting for it to start up - and I just need to SEE the image, not mess with it.)

Cheers,

James