dynamic dns

From: Bob Crosby <bob@estimations.com>
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 13:29:45 AKDT

I've been trying to come up with a way to be able to access my home
computer connected to mtaonline.net, without having to spend the extra
$10/month they want for a static IP address.
I set up an account on dyndns.org to alias the dynamic mtaonline IP address
to a static hostname on one of their servers. And installed ddclient, a
perl script that grabs your current IP address and (if different from
previous read) updates the dyndns.org database.

So far so good. From any machine on my home LAN, it appears to be working
properly. I can point my browser to aliasname.org, and it works. I can log
in to my account on dyndns.org, and, sure enough, the current IP is kept
updated. I can also look at log files on the server and see that ddclient
is working as it should.

But it doesn't seem to work from other locations -- which is the whole
point. When I log in to my dyndns.org account from my office computer,
the IP address stored in the database doesn't update. Reloading the page
or clearing the cache doesn't help.

Does anyone have any experience with, or ideas about that?

---