Re: 90% of Linux Systems Have Never Been Infected ...

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 14:35:28 AKDT

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 12:05, Wesley Brown wrote:
> So are you saying that there have been alot more?
> That there is a population of Linux developers out
> there that are supressing information?
>
> I ask because I hve been doing alot of thinking
> lately. I am a newbie to Linux but relatively
> experienced with windows. Whenever I load a new
> windows os the first thing I do is install anti-virus,
> spyware protection, and a software firewall before I
> connect to any network or even load any software
> essential to prospective task.
Smart :-)

> I do none of this to
> my Linux machines and I am comfortable with this.
> Should I worry, am I missing something?
Is it a server, or is it a desktop workstation (with server functions
enabled :-))

Grab a copy of Bob Toxen's "Real World Linux Security".
The byline is "Intrusion Prevention, Detection, and Recovery".

page 63, Section 2.7 Dangers and Countermeasures During Initial System
Setup
"Many Linux distributions have temporary security holes. ... To protect
against getting broken into during initial configuration, you should not
connect to an unprotected network until configuration of the system is
complete." Bob extends and expands this.

You might come by and read it a bit, but I chased the auther down for
his autograph, so my copy doesn't wander far.