Re: apt-get problems

From: Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 15:42:33 AKDT

Quoting Tim Jordan <timothy_jordan@labor.state.ak.us>:

> Jon,
> When Apt reports that a package does not exist sometimes it's just a
> matter of searching for how the package was named.
>
> apt-cache search packagename (or part of packagename)
>
> # apt-cache search atm* | grep "fink"
> battfink - GNOME Power Management Configuration
>
> Sometimes it depends on which repo your pointed at. Is it a Debian
> testing box? Unstable?...
> I sometime change my sources.list to point at whichever (testing,
> unstable) has the package I need.
>
> I find that Debian sometimes names thier packages a little different
> than most. It's a developers thing...
>
> TJ

Thanks Tim,

I found some documentation on the web and was able to install it using
?dpackage?. I think what I will do is attend the Friday night AKLUG meeting and
hook up with Greg Madden and have him show me the finer points of Debian. I am
having to switch distros' because RH went another direction. Damien installed
knoppix on a lady's laptop at one of the meetings and it went so smooth and fast
that I have decided to use knoppix and install it onto my laptop as my new
distro. So I am a bit lost for a little while until I get it figured out. :)

Jon